Thursday, June 7, 2012

Like Sand Through The Hour Glass, So Are The...

We have no control over how quickly time passes, but we can control how we pass our time.


     For me, my lack of control is the hardest aspect of aging. New aches and pains, the effects of gravity, the sign of wear and tear, the rapid passage of time are more and more evident everyday, despite my all my earnest efforts. There is a strong tendency to say remember when, rather than what's next. The bounce in my step seems to down shift to an amble, and if I'm not mindful, it will soon be a shuffle. If only I had the power to stop time, or at least slow it down. 


"It's a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up." - J.K. Rowling, "The Hungarian Horntail," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2000.


     What I try to remind myself is that I've never really been in control. Life happens. Things change. Time flies. The best I could ever do was hold on tight and enjoy the ride. The reality is that we never know when the ride will end, and never will. Time is passing, like it or not. Instead of wasting it grumbling, I can at least take charge of what I do with the time I have. For once in my life I actually have the freedom to do what I want. Granted, there are still responsibilities, but the day belongs to me. Finally I'm learning to make TODAY count.

"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." - Shing Xiong

No comments: